Thibault GUILLEMIN Partner
Thibault Guillemin is a preferred contact of corporations, institutions and their representatives facing complex issues or reputational risks. He advises as well as litigates on crisis situations entailing simultaneous regulatory, ethical, criminal and social aspects.
Beyond his counseling activities, Thibault is a next generation litigator who defends companies and their managers facing internal investigations and/or enforcements. He represents for many years several companies and individuals in high-profile cases.
Prior joining the Paris Bar, Thibault practised as a counsel in a French law firm of supreme court attorneys (avocats au Conseil d’Etat et à la Cour de cassation) where he managed many cases involving government bodies. He has recently advised and defended several institutions and their representatives in matters of public corruption, conflict of interests and favoritism.
Furthermore, he advises listed or non-listed companies in setting up, evaluating and strengthening their compliance programs (codes of conduct, internal audit, risk analysis, KYC, professional alerts, training), both with regard to French legislation (Sapin II, Devoir de vigilance) and foreign ones (FCPA, UKBA).
His practise focuses as well on economic sanctions (embargoes, export controls) and export controls that French and European companies may face (sanctions programs, extraterritoriality, blocking statutes, dual-use items, etc.).
Thibault Guillemin's team has been recognized as "Excellent" for its white collar practise by Leaders League 2022, and appointed as "Rising Team 2020" for his Compliance expertise by the Trophées du Droit, a panel of French high-level professionals awarding the best lawyers for their practise. His team has been also ranked by Legal500 as a "Top Tier 3" compliance law firm.
Since 2021, Thibault Guillemin is co-chair of the Comité Stratégique de Filière des Services Juridiques et du Droit, which gathers the legal sector in an industrial-wide approach, to participate in the Plan d'Investissement d'Avenir (PIA).
He is lecturer in the Executive MBA Legal Intelligence at the Ecole de Guerre Economique (EGE) and regularly participates in executive programs offered by Paris-Dauphine, one of the most distinguished law schools.
- Paris-Dauphine University, University degree, Ethics & Compliance, Anti-corruption Law, 2017
- Admitted to the Paris Bar, 2002
- Institut d’Études Politiques de Paris (Sciences Po), Master's degree in Public Affairs, Public Law, Regulatory and Competition Law, 2001
- Versailles St Quentin University, Master's degree in Public Law, Faculty of Law, 1999
Associations / Outside commitments
- International Bar Association
- Le Cercle de la Compliance (ethics & compliance practitioners' association)
- Association des Avocats Pénalistes (defense attorneys' association)
- IFA (French Institute of Board Members)
- Comité Stratégique de Filière des Services Juridiques et du Droit
- US Sanctions Programs v. European Blocking Statute : French Companies Caught in The Crossfire, in Revue Critique de Droit International Privé, 2022/02, n°2
- The Executive Officer's liability for Compliance, in Dictionnaire Permanent, Editions législatives, 2022
- Compliance in M&A operations, in Dalloz Formation, 2021 (interview)
- Contractualizing The Risks of Foreign Economic Sanctions: A Cure Worse than The Disease? in Semaine juridique Edition et Affaires n° 28, July 9, 2020
- Debarment from Public Procurement for Corruption: Theory and Practice, in Semaine juridique Edition et Affaires n°31-35, August 1st, 2019
- The Adversarial Principle during Internal Investigations, in Décideurs Compliance-Fraudes-Investigations, Paroles d'experts, 2019
- Criminal Liability for Compliance Officers: the French Perspective, in Revue Internationale de la compliance et de l’éthique des affaires, October 2018