Thibault GUILLEMIN Partner
Thibault Guillemin is a preferred contact of companies, institutions and their representatives facing complex issues, reputational risks or governance crisis. He advises as well as litigates on situations entailing simultaneous regulatory, ethical, criminal and social aspects.
He leads our "Probity" practise. Among others, he advises legal, compliance and HR departments in setting up, evaluating and strengthening their compliance programs (codes of conduct, internal audit, risk analysis, KYC, professional alerts, training), both with regard to French legislation (Sapin II, Devoir de vigilance) and foreign ones (FCPA, UKBA).
Beyond his counseling activities, Thibault is a next generation litigator who defends companies and their managers facing internal investigations and/or enforcements. He represents for many years several companies and individuals in high-profile cases.
Prior joining the Paris Bar, Thibault practised as a counsel in a French law firm of supreme court attorneys (avocats au Conseil d’Etat et à la Cour de cassation) where he managed many cases involving government bodies. He has recently advised and defended several institutions and their representatives in matters of public corruption, conflict of interests and favoritism.
His practise focuses as well on economic sanctions (embargoes, export controls) and export controls that French and European companies may face.
Thibault's team has been recently recognized as "Rising Team 2020" for his Compliance expertise by the Trophées du Droit, a panel of professionals awarding the best lawyers for their practise. His team has been also recognized as "Excellent" for its white collar practise by Leaders League 2020 and ranked by Legal500 as a "Top Tier 3" compliance law firm.
- Paris-Dauphine University, University degree, Ethics & Compliance, Anti-corruption Law, 2017
- Admitted to the Paris Bar, 2002
- Institut d’Études Politiques de Paris (Sciences Po), Master's degree in Public Affairs, Public Law, Regulatory and Competition Law, 2001
- Versailles St Quentin University, Master's degree in Public Law, Faculty of Law, 1999
Associations / Outside commitments
- International Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Le Cercle de la Compliance (ethics & compliance practitioners' association)
- Association des Avocats Pénalistes (defense attorneys' association)
- IFA (French Institute of Board Members)
- Criminal Liability for Compliance Officers: the French Perspective, in Revue Internationale de la compliance et de l’éthique des affaires, October 2018
- The adversarial principle during internal investigations, in Décideurs Compliance-Fraudes-Investigations, Paroles d'experts, 2019
- Debarment from Public Procurement for Corruption: Theory and Practice, in Semaine juridique Edition et Affaires n°31-35, August 1st, 2019
- Contractualizing the risks of foreign economic sanctions: a cure worse than the disease? in Semaine juridique Edition et Affaires n° 28, July 9, 2020